A remote workplace refers to a setting where employees do not work from the office or headquarters of an organization. Instead, they work from various places across the country or globe or even work from their homes. With the COVID-19 pandemic, remote workplace has become synonymous with work from home. Working from a remote workplace has both benefits and problems. The main problem is the lack of physical connectivity with the team at the office/HQ.
This becomes a problem for training. Organizations conduct training through training sessions where participants attend the program at the office. Remote workers will find it difficult to attend such training and this can demotivate them. This is why most organizations have implemented remote workplace learning, where employees learn new skills and hone their skills through training sitting at their location without having to move out.
Remote Workplace Learning
Organizations can implement remote workplace learning through online corporate training courses. These courses can be offered online through the company’s own website or through a third party provider. The benefit for the organization is that training modules need to be developed once and any employee in any location can attend the program online. This saves time and money for the organization. Employees benefit since they can take up these programs at their convenient time even from a remote location.
The following are some considerations for organizations that offer online training courses for remote employees.
- It is important to understand the learning needs of employees. The needs of corporate team members may not be the same as that of remote workers. A standard program should not be offered to everyone; instead it should be customized for their need to ensure effectiveness.
- The software platform/tool used should be appropriate for the organization’s needs. Not all remote employees are tech-savvy, hence it is important to find a platform that is simple, user friendly, and is easy to learn.
- Self-paced learning is very important to ensure remote learning. The employees should be able to learn at their convenience. The employees should be allowed to learn at their own pace. This benefits slow learners.
- The methodology used should ensure effectiveness of training. Some live online sessions can be considered but most of the training should be through video sessions and other multimedia modes. Online forums for discussions, online assessment, and chat sessions with faculty are some of the methods to be used.
- It is important to involve remote employees in the training and make them interact with other employees. This helps to build a strong bond between employees and makes them feel involved.
- Feedback needs to be taken from remote learners to understand how effective the learning has been. This will help in making changes/improvements.
Remote workplace learning is a great way to engage with remote workers and make them feel a part of the corporate office. This allows employees to learn at their pace and convenience, which is why organizations across the world are implementing remote learning through online training.
The article has been written by Marilou Alcaide, marketing writer at Coggno Inc. that offers online training courses for employees & students. Creating appealing contents to engage the readers all around the world is the author’s keen desire.